UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a consumer issue, and I'm keen to know if my issue is

Hi yes. I have a consumer issue, and I'm keen to know if my issue is covered under consumer rights law
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have informed the vendor within a week of my concerns, I have requested a refund which they have refused. Its a car for 9000 pounds
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

What is the issue please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I bought a car from a dealership and it has a couple of issues that where not obvious when I viewed the car. The bumper is starting to come away from the main body of the car, and the car makes a knocking noise when a hard left turn is completed. I got under the car to investigate and it looks like some trip is interfering with the wheel. The garage has suggested that it is cosmetic, easily fixed and isn't covered under consumer law. The car is 3 years old and done 40k miles. I picked the car up a week ago.

The issue is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and you are entitled to a full refund by law as it is within 30 days.

See here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

You may complain to trading standards and/or take court proceedings against the dealer for the refund of your money.

You should leave the car with the dealer and inform them in writing that you are rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and demanding a full refund failing which you will take legal proceedings.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. So to be clear, the fact the issue is cosmetic, doesn't disqualify me from claiming a refund under my consumer rights

It is a faulty car as far as you are concerned and the law protects you.

All the best. I await your positive rating.