How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 572
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

I have a been awarded around £2K from a county court

This answer was rated:

I have a been awarded around £2K from a county court judgement in my favour. Defendant was a no-show.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: No response from defendant until I took further action and he then sent a form showing his financial commitments. I refused his offer of £5/.mth, Then he denied liability. followed by a second form showing different figures claiming partial responsibility and offered £150. I refused and we were asked back to ct to work out a payment plan. He didn't turn up and the judge rejected his payment plan as Credit Card payments are not a priority in this case. He was ordered to pay the full amount. Since then nothing. What would be my next step, please?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm in London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have left it a couple of months to see if he made any attempt to pay but nothing from him.

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, thank you

Your next step is to consider enforcement. There are lots of different methods depending on what assets the Defendant might have.

Here are some examples:

- Charging Order (to put onto any house he may own)

- Third party debt order (to remove money from his account, is he has any)

- Attachment to earnings order (to take money from his wages)

Or you can utilise a bailiff who can attend at his property and request payment or else threaten to take goods.

You can use the county court bailiffs or in certain circumstances you can use the high court bailiffs.

Do yo know which of these might be the most appropriate against him? Then I can give you more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel the County Court Bailiffs would be most appropriate at this time as it is a relatively small claim, but it has cost me three times the cost to put it right.

Ok well you can apply to use the bailiff yourself or you can contact a bailiff company and they can assist you.

To apply yourself, use this form:

Here is some general information on enforcement:

If you want to use a company to apply for you then just google "county court bailiff" and they can help you.

Don't worry too much about the costs as the bailiff charges can be added onto the debt and collected from the Defendant, assuming he has enough assets etc to cover them.

Unfortunately there will be a delay at the moment though on the bailiffs going out due to the Coronavirus.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Aaron D and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** follow through on your suggestions..