UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been working for a university with several contracts

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have been working for a university with several contracts from the end of 2017. As the last of these contracts was running (part time with a fixed amount of hours), I was hired as a permanent employee on the 18th of June 2019. My university has now launched a voluntary leavers scheme and to benefit from this, at least one year of continuous service is required with the 1st of June 2019 as a cut-off date. Now my question is whether the contracts I had with the university before, especially the latest one which was super-ceded by the permanent full-time employment contract, counts as continuous service or not.
JA: Have you discussed the employment contract issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, no.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

What is the university saying about your status?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have asked them in an email about this but they have not responded so far.

I would argue that you qualify and your previous contracts should be taken into account.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had multiple contracts with this university prior to being hired permanently with my contract starting on the 18th of June 2019. But I think just proving that the previous contract counts towards continuous service would be enough to bring across the cut-off on the 1st of June 2019.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thank you.

Welcome.

Please click on 5 stars