plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My partners ex girlfriend has reported to cafcass that I

Hi , my partners ex girlfriend has reported to cafcass that I have hit my children about the face (therefore her children aren’t safe around
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: **me. ) she has stated this in order to make me look bad. As I am a teacher this is very dangerous accusation
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no o
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My partners and his ex and currently in a custody battle. She has drug use and DV in her home and my partner is trying to get custody with his children. In the interim, she has accused me of hitting my children around the face and therefore my home isn’t safe. Complete lies to make us look bad and our home unsafe. As I am a teacher I am worried this slander to cafcass and the Local authority will hurt my career as well as my children. I am extremely anxious about this. She also has accused me of punching her partner on more than one occasion which is not true.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I do anything about these untrue statement? They could hurt my career as well as having social workers involved with my children when there’s no need to be
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to know if I can sue for slander and how much these costs will be

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over your question and come back to you shortly with a response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I'm really sorry but it's actually very difficult to sue under defamation laws in the UK courts.

You have to bring the case in the High Court in London for a start and the costs of such claims easily run into thousands of pounds.

Part of the issue here is that the allegations are made in the private sphere of the family court too, not in public, so one of the conditions for the claim to be successful will not be met. Often lies are told in the family court - but there's punishment by way of contempt of court for someone lying under oath, as a possible route to redress if the lie can be proven.

I'm sorry, it's just not a very easy claim to make under UK law, unlike in the US where everyone seems to sue everyone else at the drop of a hat!

Can I assist further at this stage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help but I require no further assistance. Thanks!

My pleasure.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One more quick question please...? What am I able to do about these false accusations, as in, am I able to get a solicitor to write to her explaining the dangers of slander / or can a solicitor send a letter threatening legal action if she continues?

You can of course have a solicitor write to the person asking them to desist from the behaviour concerned.

I hope that clarifies things.

As above, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.