Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I had my return flight cancelled by the airline last

Hello, I had my return flight cancelled by the airline last November and I requested a full refund of my flight costs as I had to cancel my holiday. I contacted the airline for a refund and I was told to contact my travel provider which I did on 28/11/19. I was told by my travel provider this could take up to 90 days. This issue should have been dealt with by the end of February so they cannot blame the covid pandemic for delays. Now neither the airline or the travel provider will return my email request for an update on this issue and it is now 195 days since I requested a refund. How do I stand legally to get my money back. I paid by debit card as I don't have a credit card
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: This is in the UK and the purchase was made on the 13/8/19
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: At first I emailed the airline and they told me to contact my travel provider. I have emailed the travel provider many times since 28/11/19 including today only to get an automated reply from their customer service saying that they will not reply from their customer service.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would just like to know how I can get my refund without having to outlay to much money in legal fees as I am not that financially rich

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Vineet, thank you for dealing with my case

Could you please confirm if you booked your flights via the travel provider, as part of the packaged holiday?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I booked my flights through the travel provider on skyscanner but it was not a package holiday it was flights only

Thank you for your reply.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly. The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks.

Thank you for your patience.

If your flight got cancelled, then you are entitled to the full refund. As you have booked via travel operator, you can claim from the travel operator, & not directly from the airline.

Though you have booked or flight got cancelled before this whole COVID 19 episode, your refund got delayed due to battering of airlines and travel operator because of the travel restrictions imposed due to coronavirus.

The Govt is in communication with the airlines/travel regarding the smooth and quick refund for all cancelled flights. It is a matter of time when these companies start refunding the customers.

Meanwhile, if you paid with your debit card, checking with your bank if chargeback for the amount paid for the flights is possible.

You are also well within your rights to initiate small court claim for the refund of the amount you have paid for, but I would advise trying to get it resolved amicably for now.

Only if the operator refuses to pay, opt for the legal recourse via small claim court.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today