How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74444
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Both my partner and I are in the high-risk category re

This answer was rated:

Both my partner and I are in the high-risk category re Corona-Virus. We have booked our wedding venue date for 6th August 2020. Approximately 60 guests for the ceremony and 30 guests for the evening. we are not going to be in a position to go-ahead in August or the foreseeable future. I have paid all the cost of the venue via bank transfer as requested by the m. I do not have insurance. where do I stand in cancelling the wedding venue please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Newmarket , suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The venue have offered alternative dates. Upto April 2021. We have just drafted an email explaining our situation, that we will not be able to have the wedding due to our high-risk health issues, for the foreseeable future.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our ages are 68 and 69 respectfully.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Can you upload a copy of your contract with the venue on here?

and when did you actually make the booking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a copy of the contract on an email We booked the venue May 2019.

OK thanks. Please upload a copy on this thread

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry , how do I do that?

There are a few ways to send a photo or file. Please click the upload icon on the reply box in your question.
- A pop-up window will open. Locate the file on your device, click it once, then click Open.
- A link representing your photo or file should now appear below the reply box on your question page. Insert text in the reply box and click the Send button to send your photo or file to me
- To send a photo or file, it must be 5MB or less. If your photo or file is larger than 5MB, please resize it or send it to customer support at***@******.*** (please note this is a central inbox and often it may take at least a couple of days to reach me)

Alternatively, please use a third party file sharing service, such as Dropbox, MediaFire, Google Drive, etc. and share the document links on here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (1P742M5)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you got it?

Thank you. Yes I have. Leave it with me for now and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You have some back up from advice published by the Competition and Markets Authority on this subject. You can see that here:

It states that “Where a contract is not performed as agreed, the CMA considers that consumer protection law will generally allow consumers to obtain a refund.”

Also that “In particular, for most consumer contracts the CMA would expect a consumer to be offered a full refund where…a consumer cancels, or is prevented from receiving any services, because Government public health measures mean they are not allowed to use the services.”

You can point the venue to this article and remind them that this is not a ‘normal’ situation and certain exceptions would apply. If they refuse to allow you to cancel or provide a refund, you would have to consider a claim against them in the County Court, but use that only as a last resort.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much.

All the best

Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you