F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have got a pet insurance that does not want to cover my

I have got a pet insurance that does not want to cover my cat's bills. Lily got sick in November 2019. Sent the vets bill and was told they policy was in the 14day waiting period. Now 6 month later Lily is sick again. Now they are say that it is a ongoing problem. The are not going to cover her for the problem. Lily needs to be on the treatment for the rest of her life. Please advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tingley, Wakefield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just need advice. Spoke to the insurance and was told sorry but they can't help. I arranged with the vet to a payment plan.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just need advice

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

who is insurer?

do you mean you took out insurance and claimed immediately?

what is the treatment your cat needs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PDS Petsurance,
Did not expect that my cat was going to be sick.Lily has got a immune system problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will have correspond by e-mail
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Battery just died

Thank you. Unless the policy specifically excludes the condition or it’s not covered for any other reason, they are liable to pay out.

However what the insurance companies seem to be saying is that it was a brand-new policy when the cat got sick, you had only had it for 14 days and therefore it would not pay out the claim.

That is normal.

What they now seem to be saying is that it’s the same condition which was excluded before and therefore, its pre-existing and no policy will normally cover pre-existing conditions.

It seems highly likely therefore that the insurance company are right.

What you might want to do tell them (in writing) that unless they agreed to pay out you are measured complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You lose nothing by doing so because it’s free although to be honest, based upon what you’ve told me, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES