How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2018
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

I ordered a product from a company and they assured me they

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I ordered a product from a company and they assured me they would be delivering the order this Tuesday. Nothing has come and when a try getting in touch with the company I am ignored. Please help
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: I am in Lancashire. I called Irwinmitchell and they advised I contact you.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have repeating emailed the company and contacted them through WhatsApp with no success. They gave a telephone to call but when I called I got no answer. So I contacted a law firm, spoke to them and advised I contact you.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This product cost me £134.99. I have email evidence that they said they would deliver the product on Tuesday 9th. Nothing has come.

Hello, I’m a solicitor and I’m happy to help with your question today. There may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you.

Hello when did you place your order?

John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The order was placed 2nd June 2020.

Ok thanks. They may be a little slow due to the current climate and deliveries may not be as prompt but I would give them a little bit more time. Up to 30 days.

If you don’t hear from them, then it will be a breach of contract and what you need to do is write them a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give them a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it is 14 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a claim against them in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this site

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here Form N1: Make a claim against a person or organisation (Claim form CPR Part 7) - GOV.UK and posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527


Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

Due to the value of the claim you do not need a solicitor and can do this yourself. Once you issue the claim, interest will be added onto the amount from the day you issue until the date judgment is awarded. This is pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act 1984. There will be an issue fee to pay, but you will recover this back.

It may very well be that the letter before action you send will make them pay promptly and you do not need to issue, but incase they don’t pay you, then the letter before action enables you to be able to start proceedings against them.

From what you have stated it is likely judgement will be granted in your favour and you will recover your money back. If they don’t pay after judgement has been awarded, it means you can then take steps through the court to enforce it against them.

I hope this helps. Thank you.