plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I would like some advice on what I I can do now that I have

hi, I would like some advice on what I I can do now that I have sperated from my partner of 11 years?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have left the family home and I have tried to reconsile but this is not happening.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we havew a child together.

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The property we lived in was in my partners name, we are not married and I am now homeless, am I entitled to anything from my partner? I contributed £175,000 + to the household over the 10.5 year period.?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am currently on Furlough so I am not in a financial position to spend £44 on a call.

Please ignore the call request - it's automated by the site.

Can you tell me how you contributed towards the household please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I transferred money to my partner every month to contribute towards the mortgage, bills and the 4 children we had, 2 from her previous marriage, one form my previous marriage and 1 together., hope this makes sense,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just want to know what I can legally expect before trying to discuss this with my ex partner.

Of course. With the property not in your name, you would be able to claim back anything that you have specifically invested in the property. Contributing towards bills and living does not count, but anything that was invested in the property directly does.

It's through trust law that you develop an interest in the asset.

So it will depend on what you can prove, but there is most likely a claim to be made.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does, my plan is to sit down and discuss it and come to an agreement but if no agreement can be made, we can try mediation or I can pursue legally, I just wanted to know that it is worth pursuing.

Yes it should be worth pursuing. Perhaps before you sit down to discuss have a good think about how you might quantify your possible claim, and if there is a figure you would be happy to receive.

Ultimately if you cannot agree then mediation and/ or a court application may be the solution.

I wish you the best of luck.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no problem thank you for your help.

My pleasure.