JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

We are sourcing agents, poole, none just need some advice,

Hi we are sourcing agents
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: poole
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none just need some advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are sourcing agents we source rental properties for clients who pay us a fee landlords do not have a contract with us or pay us a fee it’s a free service to them landlord saying taking us to court as client we introduced not paying rent

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

You are not liable here - as you rightly point out, there is no contract between the landlord and yourselves. They only have a claim against the tenant under housing law for recovery of the arrears. There is no locus here - you can tell the landlord you will dispute any claim as it would be totally without merit. I presume you simply source the clients and in no way check their creditworthiness or such like.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Jim
We do check out the clients for them if they ask us to do a credit reference but we didn’t in this case we simply pass over there ID and Accounts or bank statements we usually describe the client to them and say if we think they would be good for the rent but ultimately it’s down to the land lord to do there own due diligence

Thanks, ***** ***** case the landlord has no comeback here. They may do if you were tasked with carrying out a credit reference though.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
That’s it thankyou

OK, thanks, ***** ***** good day