12826847

A friend of mine has been charged with arson with another

Customer Question

Hi a friend of mine has been charged with arson with another accomplice causeing fourty eight thousand pound of damage to 2 veichles he was released back last year pending investigation and has now had a postal requisition to attend court his solicitor is still waiting for all the prosecution papers and evidence the police have but the guy he committed the crime with has already been sentenced to a year in prision and has been released could you tell me why his friend has been sentenced and my friends has took so long
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: Arson
JA: Where did the arson occur?
Customer: Late at night behind a shop
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi a friend of mine has been charged with arson with another accomplice causeing fourty eight thousand pound of damage to 2 veichles he was released back last year pending investigation and has now had a postal requisition to attend court his solicitor is still waiting for all the prosecutionpapers and evidence the police have but the guy he committed the crime with has already been sentenced to a year in prision and has been released could you tell me why his friend has been sentenced and my friends has took so long
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

There could be lots of reasons.

Obviously I will not know which applies.

It might be that your friend is only just being found.

It might be that his friend was sentenced earlier because he pleaded guilty although they would normally adjourn that offer the outcome of your friends trial if he one known about at the time of the guilty plea.

It isn't really possible to tell what happened in this specific case in this forum but I would expect that they have only just identified him

Please remember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 star rating really helps me.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What sort of sentence would he be looking at? Baring in mind hes a alcoholic who has been drinking since the age of 14 due to finding his mum dead hes had no help from family with his upbringing he was just left to his own devices he has been in prison in the past but has now seeked help from his gp for his alcohol and mental health and has actually started to turn his life around since the arson will the judge take this into consideration
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hes now 36
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

If this is setting on fire two cars then this is probably not simple arson.

This is either with intent or being reckless as to the endangering of life.

I am sorry but the sentence is going to be years rather than months.

Personal mitigation is considered but it doesn't change the guidelines very much.

The delay of the prosecution might reduce his sentence by six months though.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (TS4QMST)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

That is the initial requisition.

They may well amend the charge. His friend didn't get a year for simple arson.

He needs to sort out a solicitor.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He has got a solicitor hes still waiting for his papers to be sent so he got a better idea of what hes dealing with thats what i dont understand his friend said he only got a year which i dont believe how many years do you think rougthly he will get ? Sorry for all the questions iam just really worried
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

No, no, it is fine.

It depends on a number of factors.

Does he have more convictions than his friend?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He has been in prison twice in the past when he was younger only for months but has kept out of trouble for years up untill this arson last year
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I dont know how many convictions his friend has
Expert:  Jo C. replied 19 days ago.

Depends if it was a simple arson or an aggravated arson. This is a very large amount of damage. I would expect two years plus of which she would serve half