Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have recently moved out, and my landlord has taken off

Customer Question

I have recently moved out, and my landlord has taken off considerable amount of my deposit for funny reasons. I have taken photos ect... to prove that there has been absolutely no damage and the place been handed in as clean as the day I moved in. Considering problems I have had such as mouse, in the bedroom or the kitchen, or the landlord irresponsibilties , I need help in order to make an official legal case towards her. She also took over 10 days to pay back my deposit.
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: London. No
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 8 days ago.

Was your deposit protected in a deposit protection scheme? How much has she withheld?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There has not been any late payments. We agreed on deciding the deposit to 4 months paying 1 week rent on top of every months normal pay , but due to covid 19 I lost my job and went on Universal credit, so I said can't pay that extra one but I can pay the full amount of £693 which we agreed on for my monthly rent. Now she has taken £20 off as late payment
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
163;15 for moving furniture. Absolutely ridiculous
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (T6Q712P)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Was your deposit protected?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There was no security deposit needed but the landlord required 2 months rent in advance
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Ok - so in effect it is a deposit.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In the pandemic the fact that I paid 2 payments late due to lost job (which was the devided deposit) but paid full amount of monthly rent, would this case be on my side or hers? Do I have any right to appeal or not do u think?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Yes, I think you have a valid claim

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.