How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77648
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a victim whos given a statement to the police but ive

Customer Question

I am a victim whos given a statement to the police but ive withdrawn my statement, the police said i will get summon,i really dont want to attend court so can they force me to go and if i chose not to turn up will i get prosecuted
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: the suspect has been arrested and the court date is july 27th
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: milton keynes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Is this a domestic?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it was my brother involved
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Have you done this before?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no i havent
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give yougood news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

I’m afraid they can be very heavyhanded now. It is not really in thepublic interest in my view.

You do have the advantageof not having done this before which weighs in your favour.

They will almostcertainly summons you if you are not already. Their current policy is to summons reluctant witnesses.

If you attend courtand resile from your statement they will just put your original statement toyou hearsay

The only realoption is to stay away although they may try to introduce your statementhearsay but it is weaker then. Butequally they may get a summons and arrest you on a witness warrant.

You do have theoption of attending court and answering every question with the words “nocomment”. You are not a hostile witnessthen so they can’t use your evidence hearsay.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position thatyou face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Pleaseremember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 star rating really helpsme.