Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I’m wondering if a raffle that doesn’t require participants

I’m wondering if a raffle that doesn’t require participants to put in their own money would be legal?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: Just watched two ads and was given a ticket
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If it is being promoted for charity or a good cause it may be legal. Can you provide me with any further information or a screen shot? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can’t provide a screenshot but I can explain.Essentially users have access to an app and they must watch two less than 1 minute clips to be entered into a prize draw. The prize draw is for money to spend and the winner will be drawn out randomly.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is a personal endeavour not a charity or good cause.

Thank you. How is the money generate? Advertising? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yup

Thank you. Is it a recurring raffle or just a one off? Thanks AJ

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Recurring

Thank you. This is essentially a prize draw for watching an advert? On this basis - I do not believe this requires a licence. I would contact the Gaming Commission anonymously - http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/news-action-and-statistics/Match-fixing-and-sports-integrity/Confidential-intelligence-line.aspx - and have this confirmed in writing for piece of mind.

Kind regards AJ