SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a question about home status fee for the university

Customer Question

I have a question about home status fee for the university purposes. I am a holder of Polish passport and I have Polish citizenship. I lived in Poland for most of my life however I’be been living in Canada temporarily (the last 2 years.)
I have applied to University in the Liverpool and have been assessed as a Home status student. Can I apply for a student loan if I was out of the EU for 2 years?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Will they change my fee to international if I apply for a student loan ?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, you won’t be able to get student loan if not classified as home student. I am not sure how you have been classified as home student by university of Liverpool because you have to satisfy the residence requirements to get that status and then you rely on it for the student loan. When you apply for the loan they will check that you meet the residence test and not having lived in the EU for the immediate preceding 3 years you won’t qualify. Your status can change midway your course if you are studying for a degree that’s longer than 3 years. All the best