JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

When selling on eBay, if a customer asks to return an item

Customer Question

When selling on eBay, if a customer asks to return an item through the returns system, they can return and empty package at my expense and eBay will over ride me and refund the customer in full. Is this legal?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: UK and within the last month
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Reported the buyer to eBay and chatted to an adviser at eBay. But the system is set up to make it nigh imposible to speak to a human
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe the system is sanctioning fraud by buyers. If I am right how can eBay be brought to book
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

If you incur a loss you have the option to sue the customer - you would need to send them a letter before action (see attached) and demand they repay you within 30 days. If they fail to do so you can start the claim via the Money Claims website which is here: http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

In terms of "legal", I presume you mean criminal liability - it depends if the customer deliberately tried to defraud you - if so, ring the 101 number and report them. The Police will ask you for the details and they will decide whether there is enough evidence of fraud.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

And you would need to speak to Trading Standards about eBay - 03454 040506.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim