How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3879
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I had another question similar to my previous question. If

Customer Question

Hi, I had another question similar to my previous question. If someone who is already married in Bangladesh and also has his wife present with him and has come for a tourist visa in uk n Islamically gets married to someone else in uk, is that allowed in the UK and what may the next step and procedure be to settle?
If it is possible, can he change his visa category from tourist visa to spouse visa without going to Bangladesh.
Let me know. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 4 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your enquiry

1. the UK does not permit polygamous marriages being entered into within the UK. They will recognise it if performed in a country that recognises polygamy. As far the UK law is concerned that person whilst in the UK as a married person is not free to marry and therefore the marriage would not be lawful.

2. Visitor’s visa can not be switched to a settlement visa or any other visa within the UK. It has only been possible these last few months because of covid-19, so those that were already in the UK as visitors and could not return to their home countries due to the lockdown could exceptionally apply to switch their visa to spousal visa. It won’t apply to people coming after covid

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best