Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Is it against copyright law when I play a music on my live

Customer Question

Is it against copyright law when I play a music on my live streaming on facebook ? I am not making money out of the music but just playing it to entertain my audience
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Well I don't have a written document However I mostly ask the artist's permission but facebook mute the music even though i state that i own no rights for songs playing on my live show
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Oh no nothing been filed in court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can i use the section 107 of copyright act of 1976 act to play music on my facebook and YouTube live?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can Still use an artist music on my live feed when i have no written document even though they verbally gave me the go ahead to play their song?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 4 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 4 days ago.

I am considering my reply which I will post shortly.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 4 days ago.

I have considered your issue in further detail and I do not think that this is a matter where the law and the courts can assist you in obtaining the result that you want.

In order for the civil law to step in and assist a claimant, they must have suffered some form of tangible loss, such as loss of business profits as a result of a breach of contract or infringement of intellectual property rights, damage to personal or business reputation (i.e. Defamation, Libel, Slander), wasted monies on purchasing a product or a service that was defective or never provided, personal injury or property damage.

I cannot see any contractual relationship or duty of care in tort between you and Facebook, YouTube etc. and I cannot see what damage, financial or other, you or other party have lost. It appears to be a customer service matter between you and Facebook, YouTube etc. You have no lost any money and have not had your rights infringed.

If anything you and the social media platforms are protecting themselves from being sued from the artists and record labels.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 4 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My question was Do I have the right to play a music if the artist send me his or her music to play on my platform without any contract agreement?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 3 days ago.

If you have express permission from the artist, you can always send this to the site's moderators to allow them to "unlock" the videos.