ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

If a car is bought as a gift for my birthday by my X partner

If a car is bought as a gift for my birthday by my X partner Is the car legally mine and is he allowed to take it back. I have proof in messages it was a gift.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK west Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing at moment I'm living at my mums with my little boy we split two weeks ago was together 9 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I aked for my sofa back if he wasn't going to give tje car back and he's refusing ive pads for it for a year and still have 600 left to pay its in my name has he has no credit

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. If something, including a car is given to you as a gift then the items is yours. A gift is not supposed to have any required obligations that the recipient has to adhere to including actions or giving something back to the gift giver. The legal term for these special demands is collateral. When someone gives another person a gift, the gift becomes the personal property of the recipientAs such the car belongs to you. I hope this helps and please rate 5 stars

Justanswer works on a rating system and so that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. But this lets me close the case and not need to email you again. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Many thanks​

Is your question answered?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thNks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thanks