Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I would like to know my legal rights living in a property

Customer Question

I would like to know my legal rights living in a property after my husband has gone.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It is about the will understanding. The whole property and business he leaves to me. After I die everything goes to 2 children from 1st marriage (54,53) and our daughter 19. Cornwall Falmouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I didn’t do anything
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Try to understand my rights in existing will. which we need to update. I am concerned about the deduction to live in a house and run business if I am ill. I survived 3 times cancer. But if I need help
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, sorry can you clarify you are concerned about what would happen to the property if you were ill?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am concerned about my rights to decide how I want to live and if I have right to sell the property
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My husband is the owner of the property

If you inherit the property in his will then yes you can sell the property. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What do you mean to inherit?
What should be written in a will to confirm that I inherited the property?

I leave the property at X address to my wife and your name who also resides at X address. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Inherit means he leaves the property to you in a will. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is written that I will be his Trustee and Executo
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He gives me right to live in property and run the business
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We have no joint tenancy
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He gives me interest in the property, is it inheritance?

Yes exactly. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am I become an owner of the property? Sole owner, and can sell it? Give all to children and how can I secure myself?

Well if it is held in trust by you then yes you effectively own the property but you cannot give it away in your will it will be passed on to the children under the trust. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.