How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2505
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I have a very big question. At the moment I have problems

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, I have a very big question. At the moment I have problems with my husband (I have two children of 7 and 3 years) and this week we have been approved for a home loan, which is in the name of both of us. The house is delivered for February and we currently live on rent. I want to know what suits me best:
1. Do not buy the house and explain why.
2. Advantages of buying the house, especially for my children.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The bank needs us to take to certify the documents next week. And the construction company gave us a deadline to sign until August 21. But I want to know what is best for me in case of separation (which would be the best decision, taking into account the well-being of my children)
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Dagenham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I'm Lea

What problems are you having? Do you want to separate? Would you rather stay in rented accommodation?

Please read the following:

  1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  3. I will ask questions on what I need from you, please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. If you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that. As per no.2 above, I will not be calling you.
  5. If you do want a call, let me know so that I can opt out of your question and another expert can assist you.
  6. Please refer all questions regarding finance and costs of the site to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Lea, I have problems with the relationship. But the point is that if I don't accept the house my resources are minimal, and I also have to take care of my children; which leads me to ask the government for help. While with the house we can both work to pay the mortgage and take turns looking after the children.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What I want to know is if at any time we separate, my children and I can continue living in the house by ourselves or do we have to share the house with him? because the house would be in his name and mine.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

If you don't want to stay in the relationship long term it clearly doesn't make sense to get yourself tied into a mortgage that neither one of you can afford on your own.

If you owned a house and separated and divorced, the court would decide on what would happen to the house if you could not decide or agree between the two of you or with the help of a mediator. The court would start with each party owning 50/50 of the marital assets, and would aim to make a clean break between you - especially if there was insufficient funds for one of you to remain in the house but for the other to be rehoused elsewhere. So the likelihood is the house would be sold.

If you chose not to go to divorce but separated, then neither one of you could stop the other living in the property without a court order.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Lea, could you help me?

Can you not see my response at 12:06 opm above?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How easy it is to request help from the government, bearing in mind that I would need a house because I have two minors. Do you think that is fast, or does it require a long process? Well this also worries me, that if I decide not to buy the house and separate from it. My income will not be enough to pay a rent and so on, since I would have to leave my job full time and find a part time job to take care of my children.

You mean help for rehousing? That would depend on what profit you had available from the sale of the house as you would be expected to use that to rehouse yourself, even in a private rental. If there was no profit, you might be eligible for social housing and be able to join the council housing list. Most councils have VERY long waiting lists for council properties (years) so it is likely you would be rehoused in a privately rented property.

If you do not have enough income to pay rent, then you would likely qualify for some benefits to help pay the rent, e.g. housing benefit/universal credit.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Lea, thank you very much. In case I have other question,
I could get in touch with you?

If you have future questions, you can request me to answer them here:

In the meantime, I'd appreciate if you could kindly take a moment to rate positively as that is how I am paid for assisting you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Lea, one last question. Could you help to apply for some benefits:housing, etc? Or I need to do this directly?

You can check what your entitlement might be by using a benefits calculator. This one is particularly good because once you fill it in and it assesses what you might be entitled to, it also tells you how to start a claim:

Don't forget to rate please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay Lea. Thank you.

The five stars for rating are at the top of your page - thank you!

SASH_Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you