Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I had to give up my job due to discrimination. My manager

Customer Question

Hi I had to give up my job due to discrimination. My manager wasn’t supportive enough and at times expected me to do night shifts even When she know I did not have child care . I also asked my hours to be changed . Another lady only did one day a shift . When I asked for part time and my hours being reduced she said she could only reduce them to 30 hours . My company is turning point with bank opportunities too . I requested this option and nothing was offered. I also offered to
Move to another unit . I feel like I was treated differently because of my color and also because I had not worked there long enough even though I was a permanent member of staff . We need to challenge these kind of treatments for a change. We all need to be treated the same . Also some member of staff told me that parents with children under 5 were not doing nights . As some staff in that situation hadn’t done nights . It was very stressful I left .
JA: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No I have not and I resigned a year ago
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was permanent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: went on martenity leave after I had worked there a short period and when my baby was nine months I went back but they were not very accommodating yet other staff member with a three year old could only work one day a week
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 days ago.

EHello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 days ago.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service so I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you the same day. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I had been there for a year when I decided to leave.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry I would rather chat instead of calling
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I left last year in September
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I started working there in February 2018 . I went on martenity leave in june 2018 . I was on martenity leave for 9 months so I went back in may 2019 . I left in separate 2019 as my manager could accommodate me . I was struggling with nursery too . I was getting very affected mentally and physically
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi I am still waiting for a response
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Have you started a claim against them since your employment terminated?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No I haven’t. I resigned just about September last year
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 days ago.

Ok thanks. The issue is that you are now out of time to take this further. You could have had two options – constructive dismissal and/or discrimination. However, both have a time limit of 3 months from the date you left to initiate the claims process. If you left in September, your claim should have been submitted sometime in December. We are now at the end of June so you are 6 months too late to claim (that is twice the time limit you had, so very late). Therefore, if you were to claim now your claim will be rejected for being out of time.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 day ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you