How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77779
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Mu husband and I are facing an increasing problem with his

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Mu husband and I are facing an increasing problem with his sister and I feel we now need external help.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Devon. Barnstaple.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We had to sadly contact police 2-3 years ago. Lady Year I tried to look for legal help but now more ramifications are emerging. Which are extremely damaging.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so. I need help on how to deal with an in-law- falsehood and malicious actions. Thank you.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

How can I help? Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jo,
I need some advice and assistance with an issue with my husband’s sister.The issue has been ongoing for 2-3 years on and off and is now causing me significant distress.Can you help?Regards

Yes, go on?

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I did not see the phone call amount how do I cancel it ?

I can do this online and you can seek a refund from customer services.

But what would you like to know ?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My husband’s sister had caused a number of significance problems for us over these last years. We sadly had to contact police 2 years ago. Now sadly her children are involved and the harassment and falsehood and lies she is alleging are now very serious.
We don’t know what to do or how to make this either stop or clear my name.Her actions have significantly affected by health, relationships and reputation.

Yes, i've read your post.

What would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’d like to know if there is anything I can do? I feel like I need some form of action. To stop this continuing.

Ok, what specifically is she doing?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
HarassmentMalicious falsehoodRemoval of access to childrenDefamation probablySharing of private Medical information

Harassment isdefined as a course of action (more than once) which is intended to harass,does harass, is reckless as to whether it harasses, or if the average bystanderwould look at the conduct and think that it was indeed harassment.

Harassment is both acivil matter and a criminal matter.

If you are beingharassed. Go to the police and ask themto warn the ex-under the Protection from Harassment Act. Some police forces take that very seriouslyand others not so and therefore, you may need to speak to a senior officer orput a complaint in writing to the Chief Constable.

You can of coursealso apply to the civil court for an injunction to prevent her talking aboutyou or talking to you or doing anything else which is doing to harass you.

You may find that astrongly worded letter from a solicitor threatening a court application and anapplication for costs, may focus the mind without actually the need to get tocourt.

Check your houseinsurance to see if you have legal expenses cover that would pay for the legalcost of taking this to court.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jo,
Thank you very much for your help. We were sadly forced to go to the roughly 2 years ago. It worked for a year, but last year it started again. And now involves her children and very bad stories they have been told. That are untrue.
The main problem is also that last year she moved to a new house. Only 10 miles away. But will not reveal her new address. So we did not know how to have any letter sent to her, by mediator, or solicitor?If we somehow apply for a letter to be sent to her, how would this stop her talking to people?I can check my house insurance, thank you.

It’s notdifficult to find out where someone lives.

You canalways use a tracing agent such as this who will dono find no fee for solicitors for GBP50 plus VAT although if you are a privateindividual they want payment upfront.

I knowsolicitors who have used the firm on numerous occasions and found the service excellent.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jo,
Thank you very much. I will proceed with that.
I am happy to proceed with some form of action with/through you.
What would you recommend as the best route of action for me?
My aim is to both clear my name and reputation, and also stop her doing further damage.Kind regards.

I’m afraid that we cannot takeinstructions from you. You will bebetter with a local solicitor.

You need to start by getting theaddress. The more work you do, the lessmoney you would have to pay a solicitor.

Once you have an address for her, to be honest I would start with the police and press them hard.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jo,
Thank you. Are you a national solicitor? Is this the reason to not be able to instruct you?
I am so incredibly grateful for your help.Thank you.

No, we just aren't allowed to take work from this site.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am extremely grateful for your advice. Thank you.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 star rating really helps me.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile