F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I had a shed fire around 2 months ago which was caused by a

hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I had a shed fire around 2 months ago which was caused by a faulty freezer I've claimed through my insurance for damages and am now trying to claim off argos dor the things my insurance wouldn't pay out for and they have tried to say that I shouldn't of stored it in the shed in the first place even though my shed was isulated for this purpose. Where do I stand with this ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've basically been in contact with a person via email and they sent an engineer out who said it was a faulty compressor which was at fault
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that was it

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please continue to lokk

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

where were the other things you are trying to claim for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is the list I was trying to claim for
:£500 contents of shed not paid out by insurance
:£300 excess
: Days of work we had to take (2days each)
: premium rises
: the effects on my child's mental health (keeps having nightmares)
: time and inconvenience
This is was everything I wanted compensation for.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Basically I want to know if I've got case and should pursue it.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The engineer has already said it was a faulty compressor and they were at fault

To be honest, I think you’re better off having a fire in the shed than having a fire in the house! The damage could have been catastrophic.

Your claim is under the Consumer Rights Act in respect of the faulty goods themselves and under the Consumer Protection Act with regard to the ongoing damage.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/product-liability-under-the-consumer-protection-act#:~:text=Liability%20under%20Part%20I%20of%20the%20CPA&text=The%20CPA%20imposes%20strict%20liability,that%20the%20manufacturer%20was%20negligent.

However, you can’t beat them with a stick until they capitulate and pay up your only remedy is to take them to court. You will normally find they change their tune when the legal proceedings land on the doormat.

To be honest, I wouldn’t have put this through my own insurer, because it’s not my fault, I would have claimed the whole lot from them. You know for future.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks a lot for all your help i will message again if I require any further assistance