Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a question regarding copy right, I have processed

Hello, I have a question regarding copy right, I have processed digital images for a wedding photographer in order for these to finish up as a quality end product for sale and advertising. Do I own any rights to that process as photographer would not have been able to achieve the same standard.
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: no we have a virbal arrangement at the moment, which is having to change.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Thank you for question and welcome. What you are describing is a derivative work - so technically you would create a fresh copyright in the new digitally altered image. However there two problems (1) Copyright is qualitative not quantative - so even substantial touch ups won’t creat an original work (which is crucial for copyright) if the image largely remains the same (2) you have been commissioned to do the work by the photographer - so in that event commissioned works, copying is owned by the commissioning party. You would however retain moral rights in how the works are used. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you for your answer, under the moral rights should the processing be accredited to me on all advertising as future work will not be of the same standard.
Thank you. Yes you would have that right to be credited. However this would only have to be in small print - unless you agreed otherwise. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** solved the problem, now I have some work to do. This has been the greatest help by far.