F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I had my card hacked before Christmas and found that someone

I had my card hacked before Christmas and found that someone brought a few mobiles using my details such as BT and Vodafone.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am living in Lewisham in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I told BT and Vodafone and BT believed that I was hacked and the account was stopped. But Vodafone did not believe me and is asking for £2,000 even thou I reported that my account was hacked.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really just want some advice

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

in what way do you believe you were hacked?

can you prove it?

and did you report it straight away? who too?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Because I do not have or order a Vodaphone phone. I have never ever got a mobile phone from there. They say that there was a phone delivered to my address but I live in a shared flat where anybody can access my post. My account had been hacked before so I have now changed banks to make sure it does not happen again. A previous hack to my account was a parking ticket and I do not drive.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I reported it straight to my bank. They did not tell me to till late to contact BT and Vodaphone till late. When I did tell Vodaphone because I never had a pin number they could not guarantee that it was me, so I had to show my passport to a local Vodaphone shop to say who I was.

I trust that you have reported this to the police and you have an incident number. If not, you need to do it and get it and give the incident number to the phone providers and tell them that if they pursue this, you will defend the action and you will ask costs to be awarded against them on the basis of their vexatious and unreasonable behaviour.

You might want also make a complaint to Ofcom about their aggressive tactics.

Tell them they are now harassing you and they are in breach of section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act and the Protection from Harassment Act and you reserve the right to apply to court for an injunction to stop them writing to you again and you reserve the right to ask the court to award all those costs against them.

Tell them that they should not write to you again but they should issue court proceedings which you will defend.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES