How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2116
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

My husband will have an oppertunity to switch T2G from T4.

This answer was rated:

My husband will have an oppertunity to switch T2G from T4. My daughters and I will change the visa status to T2G dependent from T4 dependant.
My plan is first changing my husbands visa in priority service and then dependent visa in normal process before expiring our T4 dependant visa.
Is this possible to make two different application? or we need to change all our (Main and dependent) visa in one go(one application)?

Hi Stella

Can you remind me when all visas will be expiring?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Our Visa going to expired August

Are you all on Tier 2 G/Tier 2 dependant visas?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are all in T4 visa category husband is a student, main and we are dependants

Are you switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 or Tier 2 to Tier 4?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are switching from T4Student to T2General

Then it would make sense to apply at the same time as a complete family unit.

There will be a option to add dependent's when the main applicant, your husband would be applying.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How it makes the difference. We want to apply main applicant first in priority (additional cost 500) and get sorted. Later we can apply for dependent with normal application. so that we can save money. We don't want to spend 4x500 on priority.

It makes a difference as Tier 4 dependant is not permitted to switch to Tier 2.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is it allowed to apply dependant separately once main applicant received the T2G visa

Plus you do not need to your the priority service - this will save the entire family money.

You may be able to change (switch) to a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you’re in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:

  • Tier 2 (General)
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
  • Tier 4 (Child)

You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.

Thank you for your question today

Before you go,

I would be grateful if you will give me a positive rating by clicking on the above stars and press submit. I would appreciate it

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh. Please shae the reference link if you have.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The above referece is to switch T4General. But I am asking to switch to T2G visa. PLease share

Or sorry if you are switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 - then switching is permitted.

You must already be in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:

  • Tier 1 visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra company Transfer) visa under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010 and you’re applying to change sponsor
  • Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification, will complete your course in 3 months, or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD
  • Start-up visa
  • Innovator visa

You can also switch to a Tier 2 (General) visa if you’re:

  • a dependent partner of someone with a Tier 4 visa
  • a representative of an overseas business

Eligible qualifications for Tier 4 visa

You must have been sponsored by a licensed tier 4 sponsor to get one of the following qualifications:

  • a UK bachelor’s degree
  • a UK master’s degree
  • a postgraduate certificate in education
  • a professional graduate diploma of education

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks. It allows to swirch later, but ancouraging to apply together. Am I correct?"Dependants applying in the UK on their own
Your dependants can apply to extend or switch their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK.
Your family members can apply online if they’re your:
It’s best for your dependants to apply at the same time as you but they can apply at a later date."

Although it is permitted for dependants to apply later - I would not recommend this as all of your visas are expiring at the same time in August. It then makes sense to apply as a family unit as opposed. The Home Office is currently not offering a Priority service and it is likely that this service will still not be available for many months due to Covid.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The last question: I am working in NHS as Clerical officer (Band 2) . Am I eligible for Free NHS surcharge when I shift to T2G depend

Yes you should be

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for the answer on Priority service


Before you go,

I would be grateful if you will give me a positive rating by clicking on the above stars and press submit. I would appreciate it

Lawyer21 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay. I think I am not in the eligible profession.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Good afternoon


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Good afternoon,
We are planning to switch to T2 visa. Do we need to go to UKVCAS to submit the biometric information. Is there any alternative method as we have already a BRP (Biometrc has been submitted for previous visa) due to Covid19 situation (our visa expires on 30 Aug 2020).

Kindly if you could open up a new post/question - FAO: Lawyer21. Thank you

Yes you will need to wait and must attend UKVCAS to get appointment for Biometric/Scan your documents.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you