Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I hqve recently had to change from working nights to days is

I hqve recently had to change from working nights to days is it legal for my employer to cut my pay
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: discussed with hr and manager they said no jobs on days at first and then only minimum wage jobs so had to take a pay cut as my daughtet moved in with me
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee not belong to a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think thats everything

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Did nights come with a separate premium? Please note this is not always an instant service so I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you the same day. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No it didnt come with a separate premium for me but other workers do get a seperate night right
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
rate not right

Thank you. If you had no separate night rate in your contract and were just working on a set rate or salary, then any reduction for going on days should have been negotiated with the employer before the changes were made. Had there been a clear difference between night and day rates in your contract, you would have known of the difference between working the two and could have planned accordingly. However, in your case there was no such difference and you should have not had your pay changed, or at least been told about I advance. The issue now is that if the employer refuses to place you back on the old pay, they can simply state that days are not available on your current salary and you have to reduce your pay for moving on to days.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thanks

All the best