12826847

I’ve got a court summons in 2 months time for testing

I’ve got a court summons in 2 months time for testing positive for having cocaine in my blood, after they took me to different statt
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry about the typing, I’m useless on an iPad. It was in Felixstowe Suffolk and it’ll be at Ipswich crown coourt
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: im wondering wether I need to invest in a solicitor. I know nothing of the law really but I imagine it’s a simple case of pleading guilty nothing so far. I got the summons yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that I wasn’t pulled over for doing anything suspicious. The two arrest ing officers new who I was and were waiting outside the house and knew I would have something in my system as I am a drug addict struggling with recovery i don’t know if that changes anything

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry for the delay.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have a court summons for driving under the influence of drugs for the 25th of August.
The two officers that pulled me over had recently, under false pretences, entered my friends house where I’d been using. I waited 4 or 5 hours to leave for fear of them being outside and when I got in my car I was immediately pulled over under the pretence that I was driving too slowly. They found needles and other paraphernalia and took me to two different stations, one for an oral test and the other for blood. I don’t know what information is useful or not so if I’m waffling I apologise, I’m just trying to give a clear picture-I know literally nothing of the law.
I have a long standing struggle with drug dependency. I’ve been to 2 rehabs several therapist and tried a range of different things. There’s plenty of progress with my spells of clean time getting longer and longer and the relapses are less frequent and less severe. This night in question was a relapse after a substantial amount of clean time.
What I’d like from you is any advice you may be able to give me so I don’t stick my foot in my mouth and end up with an unnecessarily punitive conviction. I’m assuming that I should probably plead guilty as I have no case, but what other measures do I need to take before my hearing? And do I need to invest in a solicitor?

I'm not sure what your question is really. Need paragraph you probably don't know what question to ask.

On the face of it you don't have a defense and so should be pleading guilty.

Obviously solicitors always help. Is really whether you want to bear the cost. If this is driving whilst under the influence of drugs then probably legal aid would not be available and you have to balance the cost against the gain.

Generally speaking, with drunk driving or drug driving though it is a matter of expressing regret and emphasizing your guilty plea

Please remember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 star rating really helps me.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just given you the 5 stars. No you’re right, I don’t know what to ask. I’ve tested positive for cocaine while driving. For some inexplicable reason I didn’t test positive for heroin, which I had a lot more of in my system. In what way could a solicitor help me if the best course of action is to simply emphasise my guilt and regret?

It is mostly a mitigating task and in truth it really is a prescribed sentence. I suppose the only thing that they would do is make the process more comfortable. It is generally better to have representation but you have to balance cost against gain.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok. Well I suppose in thIs case, as money is very tight at the moment, I’ll probably forget about the solicitor.
Thank you for the advice Jo. You’ve helped give me some clarity and peace of mind.

No problem.

All the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/