How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6376
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Hiya, I left an abusive partner over a year ago where we

This answer was rated:

Hiya, I left an abusive partner over a year ago where we jointly own a home. I have tried everyway of negotiating to get the mortgage taken over but he refuses. He cannot get the mortgage without me on it which is why he is refusing and stalling. Im desperate and dont know what to do about it. I cannot meet him in person as he was violent, and cant afford to proceed legally until I know my rights. I put £15,000 into the property and I only want this back nothing else and the mortgage out of my name. We also have joint bank accounts and he goes into an overdraft constantly to ruin my credit on purpose and I cant get out of it without him signing the form and he wont
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I lost internet, I am in London UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have tried negotiating but he will not. I now have to go down the legal route
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just need to know what options I have here.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Pressed call by accident, please just email response

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

You have the option of applying to court for an order for sale of the property. I would suggest that you approach a local solicitor in the first instance and ask them to write to him on your behalf setting out that you are seeking a sale given that there are no options left and that he can either agree to this or you will apply to court (at which point he would be liable to cover the court costs assuming your application succeeds).

You can find a local solicitor with the link here:

This should hopefully avoid having to go to court and is the only way to effectively negotiate with him if you cannot meet in person.

I hope this assists?

plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, this is really helpful. Do you have any idea on the costs that might be involved on this? I have seen this option so I think I will proceed with this.