JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I would like more info on debt outside uk, No i havent,

I would like more info on debt outside uk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No i havent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Debt in the uk but moved to eu

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Do the lenders know your address abroad?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No as i dont have a permanent one yet

OK, the debt stays in the UK and your credit rating in another EU country is unaffected. The chances of the lenders pursuing you are slim due to Brexit coming up and the UK leaving the EU at the end of the year.

Is there something in particular you would like to know?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are there any updates regarding debts after brexit? I would like to know what happens is they decide to chase me in eu

There is a reciprocal arrangement between the UK and the EU with some debts such as child maintenance for example but nothing yet (to my knowledge) about what happens once the UK leaves. I can only imagine the reciprocal arrangements will stop as of the end of December 2020. Therefore making is much less likely someone who moved abroad would be pursued.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I see, thank you. What if the lenders have my new address?

They can instruct a law firm in the EU country to try to recover it, or sell the debt to a company in the EU country and then try to enforce it. They need your address to pursue it. For claims which are not large (say under £10K), I would say the UK companies would write off the debt and choose not to pursue it. With Covid and Brexit, it would take them longer to do this in any event - and make it less likely to chase you.

Are you abroad now and do they have the address?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They do not have the address now, no. I have small debts from different companies which exceed 10k in total but they’re from different lenders. Does this work any different?

It's generally one debt £10K or over which makes it more likely they will want to trace you. But it's a different legal system abroad and it would cost them a disproportionate amount to try to get it back from you, so my view is you would be fine and not need to worry. They need your address abroad to sue you abroad. Your credit rating abroad is fresh, so the debts will not show up. They may issue a small claim against you at your last known UK address meaning there is a CCJ which lasts for 6 years but after that it comes off your UK credit record. They have up to 6 years to sue from the last date you spoke to them, so if for example you stop all contact from today, they have until end of June 2026 to sue. They then get a CCJ which lasts another 6 years. SO if you come back to the UK in the next 12 years you may have a poor credit record but it goes to zero after that period of time

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Jim, this was very helpful

No problem, have a good day