JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Can a friend sell my car in the uk on my behalf? I am the

Can a friend sell my car in the uk on my behalf? I am the registered keeper

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes you can do so, it would help if you gave written agreement to the friend in case the UK buyer wants to see evidence of who owns the car. You will need to fill out the V5 with a signature when the car sells - you can pass the signed V5 to your friend to allow the buyer to purchase the car. The V5 only confirms who the registered keeper is, not who owns it. But as long as your friend has your written authority then yes, no problem in selling it in the UK if you are abroad.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.