How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9959
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Can a friend sell my car in the uk on my behalf? I am the

This answer was rated:

Can a friend sell my car in the uk on my behalf? I am the registered keeper

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes you can do so, it would help if you gave written agreement to the friend in case the UK buyer wants to see evidence of who owns the car. You will need to fill out the V5 with a signature when the car sells - you can pass the signed V5 to your friend to allow the buyer to purchase the car. The V5 only confirms who the registered keeper is, not who owns it. But as long as your friend has your written authority then yes, no problem in selling it in the UK if you are abroad.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you!