JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I’ve had my roof retired and the roofer hasn’t complied with

Hello. I’ve had my roof retired and the roofer hasn’t complied with British standards or building reg it appears. I’ve arranged for a local council building inspection tomorrow. Total bill going to be 10500 we are yet to pay him 3000. I’ve asked him to do remedial work but have no faith in him. Scaffolding needs to be down ASAP. Wats my best cause of action. I’d prefer to drop him and not pay him any more but hold the 3k for the work to be done by others. Regards Andy
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I’ve given him the option of correcting the problem and removing scaffold by the 3 and be paid up or removing the Scaf and racing a 1500 reduction. He is saying he wants 1500 upfront and 500 each spaced out visit and I know he can’t be relied on to draw it to conclusions quickly.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: B459DQ Rubery Birmingham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Please do not pay him any more - he is clearly in breach of contract and has infringed your consumer rights too.

Will it cost you any more to put this right? You can pay another roofer to finish the job or you can sue the first roofer for all of your money back. Which would you prefer?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We aren’t vindictive but it will cost some to rectify. I just want the scaffolding removed and an end to him from this point and pay him not a penny more.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry I’m not in a position to pay for phone counciling at present

Is the scaffolding his property? What's he like to deal with?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No he contracted a scaffolding company and he’s not good to deal with. He seems to think I’m in the wrong

No, he's in the wrong - you should report him to Trading Standards on 03454 040506 so they can prosecute him.

If you ring the scaffolding company and tell them to take it down. Then contact the roofer and say you have reported them to Trading Standards (breach of your consumer rights in addition to not complying with the regulations)

I attach a template letter now for you to use - you should use it if you need to sue the roofer. Give them 30 days to pay. If they do not pay or they refuse, start a claim for your money back at http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

The claim is based on breach of your consumer rights - under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have the right to expect the roofer to carry out the work with reasonable care and skill.

Let me know if you encounter any problems going forwards.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the help

No problem, thanks