How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1141
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My question is in regards to a domestic abuse allegation,

This answer was rated:

Hello, my question is in regards ***** ***** domestic abuse allegation
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none, however i have reason to believe my ex partner has contacted the police
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have been separated for 6 months now, she recently found out I was involved with someone else and I am now hearing she has accused me of domestic violence

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Where have you heard this from - the police?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
my she got in touch with my friend and told him via messages that she planned to go to the police. We have had arguments in the past that have become loud and on two occasions the police have been involved. Once I called them as she wouldn't leave my house. The second time someone heard us shouting and called the police. Both times we told the police no violence was involved.
Recently she came to my house shouting because she had found out that I have been involved with someone else. A week later she has messaged a few people I know to ask more questions about my relationship with the other person.
During the course of this week and last weekend she has sent my friend messages that she believes I cheated on her. She then said she is going to the police to file a domestic abuse allegation. I have on a message that she wrote to my friend that if I apologise to her and admit that I cheated, she will drop the charges. When my friend asked her how I can do this if I am not allowed to be near her she simply responded 'I should use my head'
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What is the best course of action for me to take? Do I contact the police and show them the messages I have? Or should I wait until the police contact me? Are these messages enough to drop the charges?

OK, thanks for the clarification. It's more criminal law advice you need rather than family law so I'll opt out for my colleague to pick this up for you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
how long will it take for the other solicitor to respone?

Hello I will assist.

i am a criminal solicitor,

Your best course of action is to wait to see if the police contact you. If they do, they would most likely as you to attend the police station as a voluntary attender to be interviewed. Then you can show the. What she has been doing . Domestic violence could be common assault such as a push. It could now also include coercive conduct

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
should I ask for a legal representative if they call me into the station? Further, do you think her messages are enough to discredit her allegations?

Yes, I would always recommend using the duty solicitor at the police station. Due to covid19, at the moment this would only take place by phone.

Also yes, what she is doing would help,you discredit what she says. It could even go against het as attempting to be coercive towards you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you for your help, do you have any further advise?

Only, do not reply or contact her, or post anything online or to friends about it.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1141
Experience: Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you