How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2525
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Ellen, I like to know if am able to sue the mother of my

This answer was rated:

Hey Ellen
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I like to know if am able to sue the mother of my child
JA: What steps has the mother taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does the mother live in?
Customer: Yes I do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mother of my dauther has been doing everything in her power to turn my child against me, I child is not comfortable being around my partner and I eventhought we do some much to super her.

Hi, I'm Lea

Sue the mother for what?

Please read the following:

  1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  3. I will ask questions on what I need from you, please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. If you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that. As per no.2 above, I will not be calling you.
  5. If you do want a call, let me know so that I can opt out of your question and another expert can assist you.
  6. Please refer all questions regarding finance and costs of the site to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have 3 children, Rosanna Barbiah 16, Myah Barbiah 9 and Roland Barbiah JR 2. Rosanna lives abroad ( Monrovia,Liberia) with my mother, Myah lives with her month here in the UK and Roland lives with his mother here in the UK as well. I have been fulling involved in all my children lives, I have supported Rosanna finically from and I travels to Liberia almost every year to see her. Roland Jr mother and I are together but we don't live in the same house. Myah lives with her mother, her mother Faith Chizhande and I had a legal agreement for me to pay £233 per month for child support based on the fact that she claims that Myah only stay with me two night per week. After my son Roland Barbiah JR was born, Faith and I went into a verbal agreement that I was going to pay her £150 per month due to the fact that I have another child which I have been doing since January 2018, she also asked that I give her extra help on school run which led o me going on flexible working hours at work up till now. Faith contacted me in December 2019 asking if I could have Myah for two weeks as she was going to to Singapol with her partner, I told her that I was going to find out from work if I could take sometime off as I already had a pending 3 weeks holiday booked for February visit Rosanna in Liberia. We never spoke after that until the day that she was going away, having forgotten about her proposal, I texted her asking if she could pick up Myah from school as I was making up a shift at work she then replied telling me that she was on her way to the airport. I was in shock because she never followed up up with me to make sure that we put proper childcare arrangement bare in mind that this was in the middle of school term and I even had to remind her that she had to bring Myah clothes to my house, something that she would've not done if I didn't message her that day. whilst she was only holiday she messaged me asking for child support payment and I refused because I had to take time off work to look after my daughter. she call called child maintenance telling them that I had broken the agreement that I have only been giving her £150 instead of £233 per month, knowing well that she and I had an agreement when my son was born and I ever went on to flexable working hours which allows me to do school runs on Thursdays and Fridays. As planned and discussed with her and not knowing that she had called child maintenance, I went to Liberia and got stranded out there due to covid19 from February 13th until June 4th when I got back to the UK on a Government special charter flight. I than discovered that child maintenance send me a letter requesting that I pay her £433 per month to cover the times that I didn't pay her the agreed £233 for. I am currectly on my basic salary of £1250 after tax as I haven't worked for 5 months due to the covid19 and being stranded abroad. With £433 coming off my basic salary I am unable to take care of my other responsibilities let alone survive on such low income. Faith is aware of my children, she has meet them and she knows that I have all these responsibilities but still choose to put me in financial difficulties. I need to know what legal step can I take aganist her.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
One moment ago you weren't accepting calls now you're? Are you here to help me or get as much money that I don't have from me?

Firstly, see my numbered points - I don't do calls, hence my numbered list.

Secondly, this is not a chat service, it is an email service, so responses are not always instantaneous.

And thirdly, as per point 6 in my numbered list, I don't have anything to do with the finances of this site - I have not been paid, and won't be paid until you rate my response.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I look forward to your email.

On the basis of what you have written, you do not have a legal basis on which to sue the mother.

She is entitled to the full assessed amount of child maintenance via the CMS, and if it is not paid, irrespective of any agreement between you, then it can be enforced by the CMS. If you had wanted to reduce the amount you should have done so officially by contacting the CMS.

As you have several children and your income appears to have reduced, you can ask the CMS for a reassessment of your payments. They may reduce them.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help

You're very welcome.

All the best.