How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9863
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Paypal have approx £1500 in my account which I cannot access

This answer was rated:

Paypal have approx £1500 in my account which I cannot access as my account is limited. They were to send me details of how to withdraw funds after 190 days which has now passed. I have had no instructions of how to close my account and withdraw my money. I am unable to contact them by phone or E Mail as it appears that there customer services are closed. I don't know what to do - I am self employed and have had no work since the Corana virus outbreak and I need this money to continue to live. Have you any advice ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have E Mailed sevefral times with no reply via their customer services message. I have attempted to call them. They have recognised my account and the credit balance via the log in process and then said they will put me through to a customer advisor but then the call cuts off. This happened last week and 3 times so far today
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know how I can get my own money back from my Pay Pal account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have had an automated reply to all of my 3 emails sent today telling me to contact the resolution centre to resolve this but the resolution centre is not taking calls and my emails just send me the automated reply. I'm going around in circles ! Thanks

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You need to threaten to sue PayPal - this is your money and they offer a service which has now stopped. Legal action (or the threat of) tends to focus the mind...

I would recommend that you send them a formal letter before action to demand payment within 30 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. Please let me know if you cannot see the letter which I have uploaded. You will need to tailor this letter to your situation. Send it to PayPal (UK) Ltd, Richmond, TW9 1EH and also be email if possible.

You may also want to threaten a report to Trading Standards (who can be contacted on 03454 040506) and the Financial Conduct Authority (0800(###) ###-####.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of the money claim fees are listed here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated. I will issue a letter and E Mail today as I can see the copy that you forwarded. I have rated 5 stars accordingly

Thanks - they will definitely respond as if they do not you could sue them and obtain a court order against them (a CCJ) which you can enforce - that includes a winding up petition against PayPal.