Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I finished my tenancy agreement and decided to go on a

Good Day
I finished my tenancy agreement and decided to go on a rolling tenancy as I wished to move and did not want to renew it. I have been on a rolling tenancy for a year now and has been a victim of serious antisocial behaviour, harrasement, and my landlord entering my property twice that I know of without my consent. The neighbour watched him leave and walk quickly up the hill as he parked his car up the hill from my home. When I was on a lease it stated if I breached the tenancy he has right to charge me a month rent and ask me to vacate. Now that I'm on a rolling tenancy I wanted to know what is it I can do since he has breached the tenancy agreement more than twice. Do I hold my rent payment, give any type of notice and vacate the property? I found a property but my realtor isn't sure what happens now his breached the agreement.

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly. The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks.

Thank you for your patience.

Tenants have the right to quiet enjoyment of the rented property, without any undue interference from the Landlord.

The Landlords can not enter the premises without the consent of the tenant. The Landlords have to give reasonable notice to the tenants for their visits/inspection of the rented accommodation, in all eventualities a prior-notice of at least 24 hours must be provided to the tenant.

Under the Protection from Eviction act 1977, any attempts or entering the tenant`s house , without getting tenants approval would be deemed as harassment.

Such tenant can claim damages from the Landlord for such interference in his/her right of quiet enjoyment of the property and further gain an injunction to prevent the Landlord from entering the property again.

However, you can not withhold the rent payments due to the unauthorized visits by your Landlord

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK I understand so I will continue to pay rent. My question is how much notice do I have to give my current landlord as I would like to move out this property immediately. I'm 8months pregnant and I'm tired of my car being vendalised, or my bin in the rear garden being dumped out etc. My goal is to leave as soon as possible and I want to know how much notice I have to give? My old lease was one month. Is the rolling tenancy the same even if he has breached it.? Or is it a shorter notice period?

To terminate the periodic tenancy , you would have to give reasonable notice.

If the rent is paid on the monthly basis, then one month notice would be needed to terminate such tenancy.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today