12826847

My friend is 19 - he has Autism and currently still lives at

Hello, my friend is 19 - he has Autism and currently still lives at home with his mum and two brothers. His mother regularly smokes weed and drinks a LOT and she has been known to use his disability allowance to fund this. My friend met his partner online, via XBOX, I know both well know they are who they say they are. Now his partner sent him mail and money and she has witheld it from him, and refuses to give it back - now I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to withold someones mail espcially as he is over 18. What rights does my friend have here? I’m really worried about him.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, he’s trying to decide the best plan of action and what his rights are and if she is breaking any lawd exactly
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you asking whether it is an offence to interrupt the post?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if it’s illegal for her to withold his post AND money that was meant for him. He is over 18 and she is still trying to control him, so also any rights he has in regards ***** *****

I am sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

There are references and interfering with the post although they are almost never prosecuted.

But if she is withholding money then that is an offence and the police might very well be interested in that.

To make that point though he is going to have to be willing to report it.

It might be that she gives in upon the threat to do so but he needs to be willing to make an allegation.

She can't just withhold his property.

Please remember to rate my answer 5 stars because giving a 5 star rating really helps me.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thats great thank you!

No problem.

All the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/