Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My husband went to buy a lawnmower last Sunday with our 10

Hello, my husband went to buy a lawnmower last Sunday with our 10 year old son. When they got home, the battery was missing so he decided to go back even though the shop was already closed because he wanted to cut the grass on his off day. He went back, shop was closed, however staff was around, staff offered to call manager. My husband agreed and waited outside.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Manager came and locked the doors without addressing the issue.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: My son's first question to the father was if it happened because he is black.... It was very distressing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband made a complaint to the shop, the store manager called and offered 30% off of his last shopping.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like to know if we could claim for mistreatment?
That is not the right way to deal with any customer and was very distressing for my son.

Ok but I presume you have no evidence that this was race-related?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is it right to deal with a customer like that, black or white or green?
We feel it was race related, but of course no evidence.

Ok the issue here is that what he experienced is not illegal – it is poor customer service, but that does not make it unlawful. You may believe it is race-related but as you said, there is no evidence of this so would be impossible to prove. On that basis you have no legal grounds to challenge the retailer – they acted unethically, they acted in an unacceptable manner but they did not act unlawfully so you cannot do anything legally against them in the circumstances. This is a matter for an internal complaint only.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Great, thank you very much.

All the best