Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

As a shareholder of a company that has been dissolved, I

Hi. As a shareholder of a company that has been dissolved, I have received a letter advising me that there is a refund of management fees that were charged whilst the company was being managed by the SSU/LMU between 13 June 2005 and 12 December 2016. This refund has been paid to the Treasury Solicitor. In the letter the bank state that the company have been overcharged and that 'We're sorry for this mistake and any convenience that this may have caused' and that there may be further findings from internal reviews. Is there a possibility of claiming this amount back without restoration to the Companies House register? I have printed of all the advice from the government website.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Merseyside
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None at the moment. It was a family business with 5 shareholders (3 family members plus 2 others, one of whom has sadly passed away) so further discussion would be needed on how to move forward or leave as it is
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this present time

Did the company fall into administration?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Ok no problem. So obviously they deal with the administration of the company so anything that comes after the dissolution will have to go through the administrators. There should be a solicitor who is holding the funds. You will want to contact the administrators of the company and have them contact the holder. They should be able to distribute the funds which are being held. This means that you will not have to 'resurrect" the company via companies house in order to get the funds distributed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What if the administrator has gone out of business or amalgamated with another company so not contactable
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
We do still have all the paperwork but this is held in storage so we would have to look into this
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
As shareholders, we have never received the final accounts detailing the dissolution of the company

If the administrators have gone into liquidation they will still have to have all of the files by law so this is not an issue. If they have teamed up or been bought out by another company then it will simply be a case of contacting the new company as they will have to take on the files of the previous company. You will also want to chase them up about the final accounts as you should have had these. Hopefully the original administrators are still there and this should be dealt with fairly quickly.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you Ross for all your help. I think the first move is to find the paperwork and locate the administrators. Thank you also for the law society link. It is very much appreciated.

You are welcome, I hope you get this resolved quickly. Stay safe.