How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77691
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a CCJ on my credit report, for money owed to a school

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a CCJ on my credit report, for money owed to a school from 2015 that I have no affiliation with. I have contacted the court that is dealing with the CCJ and they have sent me copies of letters that they say I've been in contact with "me" over and have began retrieving money from "my" earnings. I have said to them that I believe that there has been some confusion somewhere and that they have a CCJ against the wrong David Quinn... They have told me that I need to seek legal advice now, although I do believe that there has been a case of mistaken identity. Hope that makes sence?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: at the time I was living in Birmingham and the court and CCJ originate from Kent.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I Have rasied a dispute to Transunion and they asked me to contact the Salford court to ask them to investigate the dispute then again it was sent to Kent. all through Email
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

So you don't owe the money?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have a copy of a letter to a Mr David Quinn form Kent Crown Court asking for a sum of over £5000. I will find the letters and send a copy to you if that helps?

No, you could just tell me whether you owe the money?

Jo C. and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No I dont owe the money

I can call in 10 mins?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Trying now.

Since there is a valid basis to dispute this then you do have the option to apply to set aside the judgment.

You can do that using the N244 forms although there is a fee. The application will be heard fairly quickly but you can also request that the execution is stayed in the meantime.

If judgment is set aside there will no longer be a debt although it may be brought again.

If you apply to set judgment aside you should draft your intended defence and give it to the court as part of your application.

A good idea is to ask the creditor if they agree with the application. Often they will and then it is almost automated. If they do agree, write to them confirming the agreement and copy it to the court.

Can I clarify anything for you?