How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1767
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I work for someone who is disabled. They have several

This answer was rated:

I work for someone who is disabled. They have several motorbikes. They let a friend take them to 'fix' and also paid a lot of money for parts. (The person who now has had around £6000 - mostly in cash). The title for the bikes is still me employer's. He wants the bikes back now as he realises he has been taken advantage of. I have contacted this person twice but he won't reply. I just want to know if the next step is the police or small claims court.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The steps are contacting the person asking them to give a day when they will be in and we can arrange for collection of the bikes.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried twice to do this by text. No reply. My employer has also phoned. No reply.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Do you have a name and address for the person who has the bikes?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Name - but i am not sure of the address. But I think it could be obtained.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have the person's bank details. As i said I work for the person and very early on I warned his dad this didn't seem right. I finally got one payment done through bank account not cash.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I mean, I have the guy who has the bikes bank details due to this one payment.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Presume asking me if I had the name and address is not 'the answer'?

Ok so yes, you will want to firstly contact the police as this seems to be a fraud. You can also raise a court action against them to get the money back if they are not willing to pay it. You may want to give them notice of this before you raise legal action to give them the opportunity to pay it back. However, if you need to take them to court then search for the Scottish law society and you will find a tab on there to find a local solicitor. If you require to take them to court then you can also make an application to get any sums back which you (or your employer) has had to pay out in doing so. So you could make a claim for the £6000.00 plus costs. So the answer to your question is to do both. If they do not state they are going to pay the money back then you can look at legal action to get it back.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok Thanks.

You are welcome and I hope you manage to get this sorted. I would be grateful if you could use the 5 stars at the top of the page to rate the advice I have given. Many thanks and stay safe.

Ross Miller and other Law Specialists are ready to help you