leylashahin
leylashahin,
11825576

My Father died last August and had a joint will leaving

My Father died last August and had a joint will leaving everything to my Mother. We completed all the procedures required following his death but my Mother is worried about 'probate' having read an article about it recently in the Sunday papers. We do not have any idea on what 'probate' really is and whether or not it is some legal procedure that we are still required to complete in relation to my Father's death? Can you please advise? Kind regards ***** ***** Kendrick
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: UK
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Death Certificate and all other relevant documents were duly completed.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello I will try to help you.

Firstly, sorry for your loss.

Probate is the process necessary to be able to gain funds in sole named accounts of sole named properties. Did your father have anything in his sole name?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No to our knowledge...
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
not to our knowledge rather...

Probate isn’t needed between husband and wife if all the assets in the estate were jointly owned. This includes things like:

• Property
  • Bank accounts
  • Building society accounts
  • Savings accounts

However, probate may be required if there are additional assets in the estate worth over £10,000 that were owned solely by them. This includes things like:

• Other bank and building society accounts
  • Personal savings accounts
  • Pensions
  • Stocks and shares
  • ISAs
  • Life insurance

I hope I have answered your question. Thank you for accepting my answer.