Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

We are students renting a house and we left the house and

We are students renting a house and we left the house and the landlord today said the house is not clean up to a good standard. We have agreed with him that it may not be cleaned well in some areas and he said to us that his daughter (one of the tenants who is a student who we have had an argument with throughout the tenancy) that she would clean the house if we pay her 10 pounds an hour. He also gave us the option of getting a professional cleaner and gardener for(###) ###-####pounds. She is the only one at the house now with her mother. The landlord (her father) wants us to pay her before we get our deposit back. His daughter has also entered the room of another tenant to access her own things in the attic after the girl in this room told her she did not want to while she was not there (she was at work at the time). Furthermore, the tenant who is the daughter’s landlord came with her mother to take photos of the house without giving a 24hour notice which has to be given according to the contract. We are worried this situation is going to get worse and our landlord is not going to give us our deposit back. What should we do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: In the UK
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Yes the property is not clean up to the standard of the landlord
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA.

Is the tenancy agreement an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Is the deposit protected in a tenancy deposit scheme?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it is.

The good news is the tenancy deposit scheme is used to protect tenants like yourself in this position.

As for the amount demanded by the landlord i suggest you challenge the same and consider doing your own research to see how much it will costs to carry out the deep clean in question.

I suggest you raise a dispute to the landlord's deposit claim in the tenancy deposit scheme. Once raised and you have got your quotes i suggest you present this to the tenancy deposit scheme adjudicator.

Do you understand what i have stated so far? if yes i will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Unfortunately the tenancy ends tomorrow so there is not time to request a quote and get it done. We are happy to pay the daughter pay but we are worried she is going to request money before we get the deposit back which can take up to 10 days
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
do we wait the 10 days before raising a dispute?

I suggest you raise a dispute now and demand the amount it will costs to carry out the works.

Further in the meantime i suggest you try and get a quote of your own within 24 hours as this will be good to use as a way to negotiate the amount charged by the daughter.

You need to know the amount they are thinking of deducting so you know whether to say yes or dispute and find your own quotes to challenge it

Do you understand what i have stated, if not please let me know?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay thank you . The amount she is suggesting would work out cheaper than a professional cleaner and a gardener. Is it within our rights to ask us for photos of her work and more importantly, when should we pay her since it could take 10 days to get the deposit back?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The daughter of the landlord has also blocked us on social media so we only have her on email. We agreed through the landlord that she would do the cleaning and we would then pay her. Once we agreed, the landlord said we need to contact the daughter directly to confirm with her that we will pay her what we owe her but we would rather not especially because she has not been communicating directly.

Since you are paying for the service then i suggest you request evidence of the works undertaken.

The payment date for the service should be agreed with the landlord and you will need to explain to the landlord your concerns regarding paying his daughter directly.

My tip is any agreement should be done with the landlord and ensure the agreement is in writing.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay that is everything thank you so much for your help

Your welcome.