How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1770
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

We need to make an employee redundant because our income has

This answer was rated:

We need to make an employee redundant because our income has reduced over the last 2 years and even further due to the lockdown. The employee is 69 years of age. employed as a driver snd warehouse duties but our deliveries have reduced considerably even before lockdown His employment contract states that we may vary his hours of work and when he became an OAP we reduced his hours from full time to part time His redundancy pay would be near £5000 which we cannot afford. Can we reduce his hours to zero and offer him £2000 compensation
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No we are a small company with only 4 employees
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am a director but have received no pay for the last 2 years . I and my wife who is a major shareholder have received no dividend for the last 2 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

No you cannot do this as he would likely make a claim to show that this is what you did and could be compensated for the difference. Which means that you would have to pay to defend this action. What you should do is bring him in for a consultation and explain the situation to him and see if you can come up with some kind of compensation for him to leave. You can find a lot of advice about mitigation to do this etc. on the Acas website. If you do this then he would have grounds for legal action. I would bring him in and see if you can negotiate an exit strategy and agreement with him and if you do so then get it signed in writing so that he cannot potentially take legal action against you in the future.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


Ross Miller and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you