SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Don't really know were to start to be honest, I have

Don't really know were to start to be honest,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have received a bill from a law firm that ,believe me I wasn't expecting ,I was paying my bill as was going through the case ,at no time attall was I given an update or where I was with it ,I asked numerous for my Bill to be quantified Wich they never gave me ,they new from the start that I had a minor stroke but was on the mend. While I had so much time off work I endured a number of bills that are now been delt with by step change ,I'm under no circumstances trying to get out of paying but I feel that the charges are out of order as I was never kept informed ,,
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm now very scared and very worried ,had I known the bill would be like this is I would have pulled the plug a long time ago ,I can't risk having another stroke ,sorry to be a pain
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please can you help

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. The solicitors can only charge you fees that you have been made aware of either in the initial client care letter or as the matter has progressed. If they do not have evidence of notifying you of the charges they have no leg to stand on you can defend them and refuse to pay. They offer services under terms of contract and therefore can not deviate from what was agreed unilaterally and expect you to suffer the financial detriment. You ought to follow their complaints procedure and raise the issue that you were never notified of the fees that they are seeking to recover from you and therefore you dispute these. A complaint handler will look into it and should give you the firm's final decision. If the decision does not explain the fees to your satisfaction you will be able to escalate to the Legal Ombudsman service. You should not pay without fully understanding the fees and if you did not agree to them prior to the time being incurred you are within your rights to refuse and defend your position. I hope this is useful and i would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. all the best

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help,I could never have agreed to fees as was never told about them to begin with , during the litigation process the only thing that was said to me was "there's only one winner the lawyers",