Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Need advice, wife has asked me to leave I have honored this,

need advice , wife has asked me to leave I have honored this , should I have done this ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only today have we agreed to separate , but I have moved out at her wishes , all very amicable
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: want to now what the best steps forward I should take , we have been in the family home for 14 yrs and have.2 kids 12 and 6

Hi thank you for your message, you moving out does not affect any financial settlement you might have. In that regard the financial division starting position is a 50/50 split of the marital assets that is all assets acquired during the marriage plus the family home.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
As simple as that ??

Yes, that is the starting position beyond that of course you can negotiate and sometimes the court might be minded to say that the mother can stay in the family home and be the primary carer until the kids are say 18 and then the father will get an increased amount in the family home. It depends on the amount of assets available as to whether or not that is practical.