SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I work as a delivery driver and in February I scratched a

Hi! I work as a delivery driver and in February I scratched a car in a car park with my van. I talked to the owners on site and I collected all their information, we agreed that they would just have the car repaired, they would send me the invoice and I would cover all the expenses, this way it would be much easier for all of us, and I would only jave to pay for the damage, because if they chose to involve their insurance company, I would have to pay the excess amount of my insurance, which was £2.950,00. A few months later, in May, I received a bill from the company I work for charging me £2.950,00, they told me that the owners of the car had decided to involve their insurance company. This amount was mentioned on the contract I signed when I rented the van fron the company. I have already paid the full amount but to me it feels so wrong. I can't believe I had to pay almost 3k because of a superficial scratch. I would like to know if there's anything I can do about it.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and patience. I am very sorry to hear of your situation. It is regrettable but the other party was not legally bound to have their car repaired without the involvement of insurers. Some insurance policies will be voided by parties settling claims without notifying the insurer. There is nothing you can do in this case since you are not denying liability and the excess was stated expressly on the paperwork. I am sorry I had no different answer but it is best that you know the legal position so that you do not waste more money trying to recover some of the money you have paid. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. all the best