How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1770
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am currently going through mediation as by ex wants money

This answer was rated:

I am currently going through mediation as by ex wants money from the house I live in with my three children
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I have has the initial conversation with the mediator West Midlands
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have been separated for 6 years
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Wow. Enjoy the £5..

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

is the house for sale or has it been sold, or is your ex simply wanting money as they are no longer there?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh great.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not sold the house he moved out in september 2014
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has not contributed to the mortage payments since leaving in September 2014.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can this conversation not be made public please as thus is personal and my number have been accidently added to the conversation

Sorry I am unable to take a call at this time as I would wake my family. I will provide my answer via text. If you contact the website admin they will refund any money if you have been charged (experts have no control over any fees etc.) you can also ask them to remove your question from being displayed anywhere. I will just write up my response now, I would be obliged if you could rate my response once I have written it up for you.

Ross Miller and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

So your ex cannot just demand money simply because they own part of the house, neither can they force you to sell the property or move out. Obviously they have a legal financial interest in the house and will want to be compensated for this however, they cannot simply ask you to pay up. What you will have to do is come to a legal financial settlement agreement which will outline how all of your assets will be divided (if you have other joint assets). He may try and apply for what is called a "forced sale order" which is when a court legal forces you to sell the property however, given that you stay there with three children, I would highly doubt the court would give this any weight. If you cannot come to any agreement via mediation then you will want to look at going to the court to settle the matter. I would strongly advise getting a solicitor ( I will provide you with a useful link) so that they will advise you on what your ex would be legally entitled to so that you can make an informed decision and agreement. However, to answer you question, your ex partner cannot just demand that you give them money because they have an interest in the house. This needs to be done by correct process and set out as a legal agreement.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok that answer helped alot.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does this mean I cannot get a divorce he states I have to settle up and give a % or the divorce cannot be finalised. Is thus true?

You need to have a financial settlement in place prior to a divorce being granted but this is what I am recommending. You can still go through the divorce procedure as you are doing this.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok great. I will find a solicitor by the end of the week. Thank you. I will give a review. You have given me some peace of mind.

Thank you I wish you all the best with this moving forward. You will be able to find a local solicitor who deals with family law using the link I provided. All the best and stay safe.