How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1767
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

Me and my partner broke up in January 2020. We have a

This answer was rated:

Me and my partner broke up in January 2020. We have a mortgage on the property since feb 2017. I left the property on January 8th 2020 but still continue to pay half the mortgage till present. We have no children. He still lives in the property with our lodger that pays £500 rent. I’ve been informed I’m entitled to half of this, is this correct? .. he tells me he’s putting this rent towards bills and property improvements regarding the full £500. In regards ***** ***** selling of the property he is insistent on saying he will be entitled to more money in the equity due to apparently putting more money in, in the time of living there. The lodger has only lived there for just over a year. The declaration of trust states we get what we put into the property plus half of the equity each, can this be changed upon sale without my permission?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No. Live in poole, Dorset. England. Also can I take quotes from
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We discussing selling the property.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also can I take 3 free quotes from 3 different estate agents and take that quote to a 4th to save money on quote fees.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

So the answer to your question is yes, you are entitled to a share of any profit made form the house as long as you have a legal fiducial interest in the house (which you do). Also yes you can use different quotes to save money on the fees however, the other side has no obligation to accept these and may argue but with that many quotes it may be difficult. I would try to mediate with your ex and see if you can come an arrangement to tie all of this together. You may wish to speak to a solicitor to help facilitate this (I will provide a useful link for you). If you do manage to get an agreement between you then I would have this in writing and signed so you ex cannot back out of this at a later date. However, to answer your question, yes you are entitled to a share of this.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


Ross Miller and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your help!